Monday, February 8, 2010

Of Mice, Men, Fangoria and True Horror Fans

Some of you may know me through my blogs, columns, podcasts and reviews on various sites - including the recently deceased Fangoria.com.

James Zahn has given the most authoritative, behind-the-scenes account of what happened. Since no summary can do justice to his story, I recommend that you read it (if you haven't already).

All I have to add is, "It was fun while it lasted."

While some people seemed to appreciate my particular point of view, others were apparently so offended that they accused me of not being a "true horror fan" (among other things, LOL).

To be fair, while many people use the phrases "true horror fan" or "true fan of the genre" (meaning "the horror genre"), I've yet to find anyone willing to stick their neck out and define what they mean.

If it means allowing nostalgia, popular opinion and/or historical significance to sway my comments, or complaining every time a film strays too far - or not far enough - from what's popularly considered "canon", then perhaps they have a point. Whether or not this is the case, this is not the "Consensus Opinion" blog - it's the RAISING HELL blog. Capisce?

To get a better idea of where I'm coming from, you can...

... read my review of DEATH OF A GHOST HUNTER on Cinemafromage.com

... read my review of the Australian independent horror film FAMILY DEMONS

... read my 'DVD Fight' between Unrest and The Gravedancers on Pinkraygun.com

... listen to my guest appearance on the Movie Noise podcast's WOLF CREEK episode

... listen to the Kryptographik podcast, which I co-host with Damian Smith

... or see me (briefly) in the comedy-nunsploitation film NUN OF THAT!




0 comments: